19th Ce. MeissenPorcelain , Rare Allegoric Figure Group ‘Earth’,
This was modeled by Johann Joachim Kaendler (1706-1775), c. 1745 under the series of “Vier elements” which is better known as “Four elements”. The allegoric artifact depicts such as the Earth is resting on an oval shaped meadow socle which is serving as a pedestal to the Earth. The woman depicted is supporting her right hand on the earth while on the left hand she is holding a goat’s horn or a cornucopia. There are two putti on either side of the woman, one on the right I seemingly feeding a chicken while one on the left is shoveling with a spade.
The underglaze depicts crossed blue swords and three numbers denoting, model incised 832, impressed 21 and painted 56.
J.J. Kaendler – Johann Joachim Kaendler (1706-1775)
He was born to a clergy man and followed classical education. He was educated under Johann Benjamin Thomae (1682–1751) in Dresden where his talents in sculptor was recognized. He joined Meissen in 1731, firstly as a model master and climbed his way up to the Head of Plastic Department. He was honored as the “Court Commissioner” in 1749. He began creating naturalistic animal figures but later moved on to more courtly and pastoral depictions. He is well known for the “Swan service”. He is recognized as one of the genial creators of porcelain figures in Europe.
Porcelain Manufatory Meissen
Although porcelain was known in Europe from 13th Century, they were always imported from China which made them low grade because Chinese were keeping higher graded porcelain for the selves and were very expensive. So as the rising demand for porcelain over grew alchemists is Europe tried create their own Hard paste Porcelain. Johann Friedrich Böttger and the scientist Ehrenfried Walther Graf von Tschirnhaus collabaoration produced the first European hard paste porcelain at the court of Augustus the Strong, Elector of Saxony, in Dresden in 1708. In 1710 Augustus established Europe’s first hard paste porcelain company in 1710 at the Albrechtsburg palace in Meissen. “Böttgerporzellan” had more stoneware quality and hardness and was available for purchase in 1713. Initially unmarked, the crossed swords marking was developed in 1720 and has been used since 1723. Since then Miessen has been producing beautifully modeled painted figures and table services. Meissen has been second home to many outstanding sculptors, potters and painters like Johann Joachim Kändler (1706-1775), Johann Gottlieb Klinger (1701-1781) and Count Camillo Marcolini (1739-1814). It dominated 18th Century porcelain. Meissen celebrated 300 years of excellence in2008 and still is recognized for its high quality Porcelain.
Underglaze blue cross swords, Model incised 832, impressed 21 , Painted 56
The figure is in good condition, consistent with age.
The height measures 18 cm/ 7′ In.