Description

Impressive 19th Ce. Meissen Porcelain –  Gardner’s Lovers Under a tree – D95

         Two lovers – man and woman dressed in excellent Rococo garments – are situated  under a tree:  Woman having sat down on a rock makes music by playing a viola,  while the man standing on rocky steps turns himself towards her, presenting his hat filled with rose flower blossoms = IT IS SYMBOL OF LOVE !
Further a tree is visible, flanking the lovely scene.  Finally a boy balancing on one leg, leaning against the tree’s trunk, holds a flower wreath above the lady’s head.
The rocky ground on which the figurines are standing has the function of a stage.

The figurine group is supported by  oval base  decorated with a leaves’ band painted in bright  (pastel shaded)  green.

THIS MEISSEN FIGURINE GROUP IS OF FINEST QUALITY, CAUSED BY STUNNING MODELLING – LOOK AT THE HANDSOME FEATURES, PLEASE, OR AT FINEST PROPORTION OF FIGURINES, FINALLY AT MOST SKILFUL PAINTING    !

MEASURES / DIMENSIONS:

High:   28.5 cm /11.22 In

Width: 18CM /   7.08 In

Depth: 15 Cm /  5.9 In

MARKS:
THIS MEISSEN FIGURINE GROUP  IS MARKED BY BLUE MEISSEN SWORD MARK (UNDERGLAZED)    OF MIDDLE OF 19TH CENTURY   /   WITH POMMELS ON HILTS  /  FIRST QUALITY   /   MANUFACTURED CIRCA 1860 – 70.
FURTHER THERE ARE THE FOLLOWING MARKS EXISTING:
model number  D 95    |   painter’s number  43

CONDITION:   EXCELLENT

 (FRENCH, 1736 – 1799)

The French sculptor Michel Victor Acier (1736-1799) helped shape the Manufactory stylistic identity from 1764 onwards. After Kaendler’s death in 1775, for instance, he bore sole responsibility for the artistic design of Meissen Porcelain®. An exponent of early Classicism, he incorporated Classicist elements into his Rococo-esque figures. The middle classes, now customers of the Manufactory, favoured less fussy, functional porcelains. Acier adapted his decorative schemes to the spirit of the new age accordingly. Domestic scenes such as “The Good Mother” or “The Broken Eggs” were now the order of the day.

Porcelain Manufatory Meissen

Although porcelain was known in Europe from 13th Century, they were always imported from China which made them low grade because Chinese were keeping higher graded porcelain for the selves and were very expensive. So as the rising demand for porcelain over grew alchemists is Europe tried create their own Hard paste Porcelain. Johann Friedrich Böttger and the scientist Ehrenfried Walther Graf von Tschirnhaus collabaoration produced the first European hard paste porcelain at the court of Augustus the Strong, Elector of Saxony, in Dresden in 1708. In 1710 Augustus established Europe’s first hard paste porcelain company in 1710 at the Albrechtsburg palace in Meissen. “Böttgerporzellan” had more stoneware quality and hardness and was available for purchase in 1713. Initially unmarked, the crossed swords marking was developed in 1720 and has been used since 1723. Since then Miessen has been producing beautifully modeled painted figures and table services. Meissen has been second home to many outstanding sculptors, potters and painters like Johann Joachim Kändler (1706-1775), Johann Gottlieb Klinger (1701-1781) and Count Camillo Marcolini (1739-1814). It dominated 18th Century porcelain. Meissen celebrated 300 years of excellence in2008 and still is recognized for its high quality Porcelain.