This amazing Meissen porcelain sculpture of a shepherd couple was designed by J.J. Kaendler in 1738 approximately. They seem to be caressing and sitting lovingly under the shade of a tree. Considering the age of the sculpture, the colors and condition are excellent. Notice the beautiful patterns on the shepherd’s pants. See the purple pants that are tied around the knees, while the gilded edge demarcates the difference in the long stockings.
Relaxing Shepherd couple
Look at the top hat of the shepherd while the shepherdess is bare headed and blonde. Her hair has curls that frame her face. See how delicately the hair curls and is hand-painted equally with care. Notice the bodice which has lavender ribbon that crisscrosses the front. She holds the sheep in her hand, with its two fore hoofs in her lap as it tries to climb in from the back. Her pinafore is hand colored in a pastel color and is on the side, as the folds can be seen. Sculpting pure porcelain is an art and it can be seen how skillfully every tiny detail on the porcelain sculpture has been envisaged, designed and executed.
Look at the pink blush on the cheeks, the smooth glazed skin and the tiny fingers all crafted by hand. The white under-shirt of the shepherd can be seen in folds while the green colored coat is open and falls gracefully on the side. The skirt of the shepherdess has hand painted floral motifs in blue, purple and green as it dots the whole skirt and gives it a beautiful look. Notice how the man has crossed his legs and the woman’s skirt is spread out, giving a relaxed look to the figurine. The trademark underglaze crossed blue swords authenticates the porcelain Meissen sculpture.
Height: 24.5 cm
Great condition especially for the age of the piece. Crossed swords marks in underglaze-blue – Model D19 impressed 52, painted 99. It is of first choice and in perfect condition with no losses or repairs.
27 cm / 10.6 inches
18 cm / 7.08 inches
16.5 cm / 6.5 inches
Porcelain Manufactory Meissen
Porcelain has been known in Europe since the 13th century, but always had to be imported from China. Thus it was mostly of lower quality – the Chinese rarely gave their best ware to the foreigners – and extremely expensive. As demand for porcelain became greater, European alchemists tried to discover the formula to create hard-paste porcelain. The production of the first European hard-paste porcelain was the result of a collaboration between the alchemist Johann Friedrich Böttger and the scientist Ehrenfried Walther Graf von Tschirnhaus at the court of Augustus the Strong, Elector of Saxony, in Dresden. As a matter of fact, it was finally achieved for the first time in Europe in 1708 to produce a white hard paste porcelain and in 1710 Augustus established Europe’s first hard-paste porcelain factory in the Albrechtsburg, a palace in Meissen. The so-called ‘Böttgerporzellan’ actually had more of a stoneware quality and it was not until the year 1713 that white porcelain was available for purchase. Initially unmarked, the motif of the ‘crossed swords’ was developed in the early 1720s and used from 1723 on wards. Since then, beautifully modeled and painted figures and table services were produced at Meissen, establishing its reputation as the pre-eminent porcelain factory in Europe. Outstanding potters, modelers and painters, e.g. Johann Joachim Kändler (1706-1775), Johann Gottlieb Klinger (1701-1781) and Count Camillo Marcolini (1739-1814), were employed at the factory, which dominated the 18th century style of porcelain, and Meissen wares and figurines were imitated by craftsmen at other porcelain factories throughout Europe. Meissen celebrated its 300 years of existence in 2008. Until today, Meissen porcelain is known for highest quality and originality and greatly appreciated