Description

This Meissen porcelain sculpture of Venus with two cupids is breathtakingly amazing. The pristine porcelain sculpture was designed and molded by J.J. Kandler, one of the Master Modelers at Meissen factories in the 18th century. Venus is the goddess of beauty and love, and is considered to be born off sea foam with the power to make men and gods fall in love.

Meissen Porcelain Venus with Cupid

Look at the well-proportioned body, the clean-cut lines and the glazing that Meissen is famed for. The delicate facial features which have been highlighted by the hand-painted blushing pink shades. The tiny rosebud mouth, blond hair that is tied with a blue bow is one of the accents that adds charm to the sculpture. Though the figurine is not clothed, but the Master Modeler has given the body the perfect figure. She leans on a tree stump or rocks that are hand painted brown and grey. Notice the blemish free Venus, with porcelain smooth skin and the beautiful cherubic Cupids that seem to dance around her.

Notice the curve of the shoulders, the bend of the waist and the way she tilts her head. See the delicate and smooth delineated lines that give the figurine a comprehensive look. Look at the cupids playing around her feet. These small figurines have been carved with equal clarity and detailing. Notice the delicate and fragile tiny wings that each cupid hosts on its shoulders. One of the Cupid’s that holds a bow in its left hand and holds Venus’s hand, has his wings painted pink. While the yellow harness that is tied around the Cupid’s waist is put through a loop into the hand of Venus. It gives a significant vibe that Venus is being assisted by the two cupids to spread love and harmony.

Model Number A65Perfect condition with no losses

Height: 20.7 Cm/ 8.15

CONDITION:   EXCELLENT

Porcelain Manufactory Meissen

Porcelain has been known in Europe since the 13th century, but always had to be imported from China. Thus it was mostly of lower quality – the Chinese rarely gave their best ware to the foreigners – and extremely expensive. As demand for porcelain became greater, European alchemists tried to discover the formula to create hard-paste porcelain. The production of the first European hard-paste porcelain was the result of a collaboration between the alchemist Johann Friedrich Böttger and the scientist Ehrenfried Walther Graf von Tschirnhaus at the court of Augustus the Strong, Elector of Saxony, in Dresden. As a matter of fact, it was finally achieved for the first time in Europe in 1708 to produce a white hard paste porcelain and in 1710 Augustus established Europe’s first hard-paste porcelain factory in the Albrechtsburg, a palace in Meissen. The so-called ‘Böttgerporzellan’ actually had more of a stoneware quality and it was not until the year 1713 that white porcelain was available for purchase. Initially unmarked, the motif of the ‘crossed swords’ was developed in the early 1720s and used from 1723 on wards. Since then, beautifully modeled and painted figures and table services were produced at Meissen, establishing its reputation as the pre-eminent porcelain factory in Europe. Outstanding potters, modelers and painters, e.g. Johann Joachim Kändler (1706-1775), Johann Gottlieb Klinger (1701-1781) and Count Camillo Marcolini (1739-1814), were employed at the factory, which dominated the 18th century style of porcelain, and Meissen wares and figurines were imitated by craftsmen at other porcelain factories throughout Europe. Meissen celebrated its 300 years of existence in 2008. Until today, Meissen porcelain is known for highest quality and originality and greatly appreciated