Look at this Meissen porcelain cherub with an angelic face and little wings on the back. The delicate features and roses can be seen entwined on the body of the cherub. This late 19th century Meissen porcelain is set on a gilt scroll base. Look at the tiny roses, with green leaves entailing it. The delicate flowers and leaves have bene carefully placed by the Meissen master modeler Johann Paul Helmig. He crafted amazingly detailed Meissen porcelain sculptures from 1882 to 1924 after he studied at the Dresden Arts and Crafts College.
Notice how delicately the chubby curves of the cherub have been carved and polished to finesse. Notice the brownish golden hair, the pouted lips and the chubby cheeks as the cherub is bound to the tree stump with the garland of roses. Don’t miss the droopy wings and pained expression so beautifully captured by the artist. See how one of the legs is folded and rests on the stump while the other balances his pose. The golden brown hair glistens in the light, each strand carefully visible, as it has been hand painted by the artist. See the hues of purple of the roses, the feathers on the wings and the delicately carved leaves in different folds. The physique of the cherub has been clearly defined, lending symmetry and proportion with ease. With his hands tied behind him with a garland of roses, the sadness of being tied down and unable to fly is evident from the facial features. Only Master modelers at Meissen Factory could sculpt in such detail and that is a fact.
See the underglaze blue cross swords; Model incised R123, Painted 22 that authenticates it as a genuine art piece by Meissen. It is in good condition as per the age of the figurine. The height of the sculpture measures 18.5 cm/ 7.3 In.
Porcelain Manufactory Meissen
Porcelain has been known in Europe since the 13th century, but always had to be imported from China. Thus it was mostly of lower quality – the Chinese rarely gave their best ware to the foreigners – and extremely expensive. As demand for porcelain became greater, European alchemists tried to discover the formula to create hard-paste porcelain. The production of the first European hard-paste porcelain was the result of a collaboration between the alchemist Johann Friedrich Böttger and the scientist Ehrenfried Walther Graf von Tschirnhaus at the court of Augustus the Strong, Elector of Saxony, in Dresden. As a matter of fact, it was finally achieved for the first time in Europe in 1708 to produce a white hard paste porcelain and in 1710 Augustus established Europe’s first hard-paste porcelain factory in the Albrechtsburg, a palace in Meissen. The so-called ‘Böttgerporzellan’ actually had more of a stoneware quality and it was not until the year 1713 that white porcelain was available for purchase. Initially unmarked, the motif of the ‘crossed swords’ was developed in the early 1720s and used from 1723 on wards. Since then, beautifully modeled and painted figures and table services were produced at Meissen, establishing its reputation as the pre-eminent porcelain factory in Europe. Outstanding potters, modelers and painters, e.g. Johann Joachim Kändler (1706-1775), Johann Gottlieb Klinger (1701-1781) and Count Camillo Marcolini (1739-1814), were employed at the factory, which dominated the 18th century style of porcelain, and Meissen wares and figurines were imitated by craftsmen at other porcelain factories throughout Europe. Meissen celebrated its 300 years of existence in 2008. Until today, Meissen porcelain is known for highest quality and originality and greatly appreciated